By JEFFREY DAGANABE, AP Colonial school shooting academy in Connecticut is now facing federal charges of violating a federal law by failing to protect a student from a mass shooting that left two dead.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Connecticut announced Thursday that it is investigating the Connecticut School Shooting Academy and its parent company, the Colonial School Shooting Academies Association, for failing to stop a mass school shooting at the school last month that left three students dead and nine others injured.
The law protects educators, including teachers, from discrimination because of their race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age or disability.
It does not protect people from gun violence.
State Sen. John Kavanagh, D-Wethersfield, is the co-chairman of the state Senate’s education committee, which approved the resolution.
The academy is owned by the Colonial Shooting Acadums Association, and the state Education Department is reviewing its relationship with the organization, Kavanagaid.
The law does not address whether the academy should be regulated by the state.
The school district has about 50 employees, including the school principal and other educators.
It has hired more than 200 security personnel, the majority of whom have firearms licenses, and has hired about 2,000 additional teachers.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut and other civil rights groups are suing the school district and the academy over their failure to protect students from a shooting that occurred in June 2016.
The ACLU says the shooting killed 12-year-old Caleb Thomas and wounded eight other students, most of them black.
The group says the academy failed to take security measures, including installing more than 1,500 bullet-resistant doors.
The school district also failed to train its staff and conduct background checks, according to the lawsuit.
The federal lawsuit is one of several lawsuits filed against the academy by Connecticut’s education department.
The Connecticut Department of Education has asked a federal judge to rule on whether the state has the authority to regulate the academy.
The judge has given the department until July 18 to respond to the ACLU request for the injunction.
The state’s Education Department and Colonial School shooting academy have not commented on the lawsuit, but a spokeswoman for the school said Thursday that the academy “continues to fully cooperate” with the federal government’s investigation.